Tuesday 2 December 2008

The Deal

Hello aspiring screenwriters.

I'm a young screenwriter and I'm offering the service of reading your screenplays and giving you 5 pages of constructive feedback starting at £10

I'm constantly annoyed when searching the net and seeing the following prices come up for coverage

140 pages = $145/£95

120 pages = $185/£122

My favourite though is still 30 pages = $150/£100!


I know what you're thinking - "Why so cheap?"

Well I'm currently a screenwriting student so reading your scripts and helping the best I can will improve my writing as well as yours.

Again I know what you're thinking "If he can't write his own great screenplays why is he taking my baby apart"

That brings up the old question posed to some of the best screenwriting gurus around (Robert McKee and Syd Field) If they are so great at teaching screenwriting why don't they get their own ones produced. Well, it's just one of those things

Let's look at the pros and cons

PROS

1) You get 5 pages at the least of critical feedback on your screenplay - Covering structure, character and dialogue
2) It's amazingly cheap - 60 page pilots for £10 is an unheard of deal (WHY? because I want to help screenwriters and at the same time improve my own writing)
3) It's quick - As soon as the script arrives at my door or e-mail less than 7 days later the notes are with you and you can use them in any way you see fit.

CONS

I'm young and inexperienced - Yes this is true but this is also a good thing because you have a young eye to analyse your screenplay.

The bottom line is: This is the cheapest deal on the net. If my age (20) puts you off sending me your screenplay then fair enough, walk on by and pay $150 somewhere else but if you want notes and encouragement in less than a week please get in touch

email me at jacksband@yahoo.co.uk

8 comments:

ChristopherR2D2 said...

Awesome. Keep up the good work!

Neil said...

People don't need encouragement from a script reading, they need someone to be merciless and brutal. To be honest, I can't see anyone paying money to have someone so inexperienced (like myself) to look at their work. While I feel I'm in a good position to provide such a service, I just don't think anyone would want it from me.

Good luck though, I hope you get some scripts. What have you got to lose afterall?

Harry said...

Hello guys and thanks CJ. Of course writers need encouragement from script readings Neil, there are so many writers out there with scripts that are half done and shoved in a draw. I'm not just going to say how wonderful their scripts are, that's why I put 'critical feedback' - There is no reason why I can't criticise and encourage at the same time.

Neil said...

Harry - yes, people do need encouragement, but they need criticism more! If someone writes half a script then just puts it in the drawer because they "didn't receive any encouragement", then they probably don't have what it takes. If they can't write unless they have encouragement, how will they cope when someone tells them their script is crap?! They're probably the sort of person who will give up completely at that stage.

Harry said...

Neil your acting as if I said I wasn't going to criticise, I am but I also think screenwriters need to be encouraged as well... If it's a terrible script I'll say that (hence the title of the blog) but with encouragement and advice on how to make the script better hopefully they will get motivated for the next draft - Neil what script are you working on atm?

Neil said...

I understand where you're coming from, Harry. Not to be harsh, but I just don't think many people will want feedback from inexperienced folks like you and me. Not to say you don't know what you're talking about, but without the credits, it's difficult to gain the status required. But I wish you lots of luck in it!

I'm working on several scripts at the moment. Got one in the first draft, 2 others in the first draft writing stage and 2 TV show pilots that I'm writing. And yourself?

Harry said...

Well I'll see how informative and helpful I can make this blog and then if people want to trust me with giving their script feedback then they can :)

At the moment I'm just working on a Pilot I want to pitch to the BBC - Please subscribe to the blog CJ and Neil

Neil said...

Good luck Harry! That'#s a good way to go though - make a good blog and let people know you know what you're talking about, then they'll prob send you some stuff. Keep us in on how it turns out!

Oh...and that guy who ditched the thriller script - idiot! If you're in the mood to write something else, fine...put the other stuff on hold until it's right, but never - NEVER - ditch an idea. Keep everything there for later dates.

-Neil
writewithhonour.blogspot.com