Saturday 27 December 2008

Why I can't write over the festive period and updates

It's official, as soon as mid-December rolls around I can't write.

Not because I have the block, not because I don't want to but because I physically can't.

Christmas at a normal household is busy. In mine it's like a scene from Jingle all the way, you haven't seen it? You're the lucky one, however that also means you didn't get the only remotely funny joke in this post.

I had been writing very little this month and wanted to get in at least an hour on christmas day. It ended up I had to go around FOUR different families to hand out presents and then rush back to eat my christmas dinner before 4. I was lying on my bed asleep and dribbling by 5PM!

I woke up at 10 feeling like a junkie and that it was boxing day. I actually freaked out when I'd got dressed and opened the curtains to see the moon and not the morning sun. I went back to bed - No writing was done.

Advice

It's nearly 2009 and as an aspiring writer I would say this: SET GOALS. Why? - Why not? If you don't meet that 60 page TV Pilot by March then you pull your finger out and if you do? Great! Then what? Improve it because it will definitely be flabby.

What I'm working on

A play - I've got the first 3 pages to a one act play I want to finish and hopefully get three really good actors to work on. It's a bit crazy dialogue wise but it's set in a very real place and centers around a very realistic plot - A job interview. It stems from my love of Sorkin's and Mamet's dialogue, I've also for awhile secretly wanted to stage a play and I think the first 3 pages sound pretty good and from an insecure writer that is indifferent about his final drafts that's a really good sign.

A web series - It feels like 2 years have passed since I first wanted to write and produce a web series, that's because it is! That is so frustrating to write. This time it's getting done. The first two episodes are written and I'm currently contemplating squeezing them into one longer webisode and throwing it out there. In short, it's a comedy mockumentary about a loser student filmmaker and before you ask it's not autobiographical.

A TV Pilot. This is my biggest concern because it's something I think could actually interest people to look at me as a writer regardless of my age. It's original, dramatic, believable and dare I say it commercial. I pitched it to an ex-commissioner who was at the BBC and he really liked it, going as far as saying he wanted to see a first draft in January and if he likes it he would help with further drafts and also send it to the BBC with his ex-commissioner recommendation - Result! However there's loads of work to do yet as I'm currently on page 2, with page 1 being a quote about the main theme of the pilot - Celebrity.

So that's me, three projects to keep me well and truly busy.

On a final note. It's nearly the new year so set those goals for the portfolio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had to see four different families on Christmas Day and you chose to reference Jingle All The Way instead of a certain recent commercial hit (critical disaster)?